The Legal Metrology Act prescribed the fee for the model approval. However, the applicant even paid the fee through the online mode of payment and also pay the online fee for the laboratories for testing weight and measure, or weighing and measuring the instrument.
For every kind of permission, approval, or renewal, the fee is still to be paid by the applicant as per the rules and regulations of the legal metrology act. Under the legal metrology department before taking the model approval or filing the application for the model approval, the applicant must check out their fee for such approval, and it is pertinent to mention that without paying the prescribed fee, the procedure for the approval will not move forward.
The prescribed fee as per the act for testing mechanical types of models of weight and measures is Rs 10,000 and the prescribed fee as per the act for imported or manufactured for protection of measuring instruments is Rs 25,000. However, the application shall be deposited by the applicant with half of the testing fee for testing the substitute material.
The Process to Obtain Model Approval
There is a proper process to get the model approval by the manufacturer and this is important as there are two methods that differ from each other and totally depend on the fact that the applicant is the manufacturer or the importer.
- The applicant has to submit the application form along with the required documents.
- An applicant has to bring a sample of the product to the legal metrology department for analysis.
- The legal metrology department will conduct an inspection of the document submitted by the applicant.
- The inspection of the sample would be conducted by the Legal Metrology department.
- After completion of all the required steps and the inspection of all the documents as well as the sample, if the Legal Metrology department and the officer of the Legal Metrology department deem fit, then he may grant the model approval to the applicant who can be the manufacturer or importer of weight and measure
- As per section 22 of the Legal Metrology Act 2009, the legal metrology department issued the model approval to the applicant.
- The office of the legal metrology department is located in Delhi, and the standard application process involves sample testing, application filling by the applicant, and document submissions by the applicant.
After completion of all the above steps, the applicant will receive the model approval of waiting measures.